When I think of education as 'stretching' a person, I think of education as being a challenge, and pushing a persons intelligence to as much as they are capable of, in which case, I conclude that yes, education should push a person. Without being stretched, no-one would know what they are capable of achieving. If you're not being challenged you're not learning everything you can....
I also think that new media should also challenge you in the same way that traditional education does. There is no reason why it shouldn't...I find that this unit has challenged me, although there have been disadvantages that have made me struggle, such as the lack of f2f communication, but other than that, the topics we have been learning have made me have to think hard and research things to be able to understand.
However E-learning would not have been worth introducing if it wasn't supposed to challenge people- if it was so easy enough to learn, it would be easy enough to learn in in the traditional way. E-learning should be just as difficult as traditional education, but the benefits are worth the stretch- of course it would be much more difficult for Digital Immigrants, as they would be struggling to even access the E-learning material, however I believe it's a good way of 'killing two birds with one stone' so to speak...
I think it is bound to happen at one point either way, due to the socio-determinism that is seen so much in our society. Technologies will keep evolving, and people will have to keep learning new things to keep up with this.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

RINCY :D
ReplyDeleteInterestingly, e-learning was forcefully promoted as easier for distance learners and better for 'present' learners (a la Prensky). It doesn't feel like that when you start does it?
ReplyDeleteDo you think it would've been even harder if you didn't have the experience of the practical work at level one?